Life in Twindom

Sunday, August 27, 2006

The $1000 Barn Cat

When Ethan and I moved into our first house, we took in two brother cats from the farm. Very cute, loving and adorable kittens. We thought that two male cats would be cheap and easy, I mean it cost us a case of beer to have them "fixed". Now, they are large, hair shedding, carpet shreading cats.

Monty, always the standoffish one had a few problems about six months ago. Mainly, he was about a half an hour away from having his bladder explode due to cyrtsals. At that time, Ethan and I had to make some tough descisions on how much money we could spend on this cat before it was time to say goodbye. Well, at that time, we went over that limit by about $150.

Then, on Saturday, Monty shows signs of the cystals again, a $200 vet bill later, Monty is still alive and kicking. There is still a chance in the next few days that he could have problems so I have to monitor him very closly. Has any of you ever watched a cat for 24 hours to see how much he has peed? Great fun.

Now, including the damage he has inflicted on the carpets and his vet bills, he has cost us about $1000. So much for the cheap and easy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christielli said...

Woo!!! Your first real post. I loves it.

I did not know about Monty's costliness. I had a cat when I was growing up that had allergies and got snot everywhere, but when my parents found out how much he would cost to fix, it was decided that I would have to go chase him around with a Kleenex instead.

I have not had to spend hours watching out how much a cat has peed, but in an animal physiology class in university, I did have to measure the amount of urine produced by Rhodnius prolixis (an African insect) when fed different diets...

12:21 AM  
Blogger s said...

SO happy to have you in the blog world. I have found them to be a great outlet and i have enjoyed the feedback that friends have put in. I think this will be awesome for you and I am very excited to get to know you all over agin. It really does bring friends together!!!

PETS: they are never cheap! anything that claims to be cheap and easy - - will have a catch!!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home